Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: [External] Chinese Hacking, Mandiant and Cyber War

From: Ali-Reza Anghaie <ali () packetknife com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 13:10:55 -0500

It's "confused" intentionally - the money and control grab that can be
accomplished through "war" FAR exceeds anything that comes under the
context of espionage.

It's all about increasing the perception that a State-level response is the
only effective solution.

RE: Policy makers - the biggest problem I've had with convincing anybody in
those circles is they think attribution is equal when it comes to them. A
Maltego graph finding a bit of information on them and tying it to a
Facebook profile is absolutely convincing. No matter what else you say -
after such a demonstration by an "expert" - they resolutely believe that
all other attributions are just that exacting.

The route I've been taking lately is trying to explain to people how
~little~ a State-funded attacker matters to them. Geopolitical attribution
doesn't even matter until you get thousands of other sheep herded. Until
then all the China-China-China is a distraction from much more baseline and
broad issues in InfoSec.

-Ali

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Goertzel, Karen [USA] <