Snort mailing list archives

RE: ICMP false possitives...

From: "Ofir Arkin" <ofir () sys-security com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 00:13:48 -0700

Filter the traffic that comes to/from your network guys and from the DNS
server you are using...
Don't just erase the rule. Unreachables are VERY important.

More informaiton you can find from my research paper "ICMP Usage In
Scanning" available from:

http://www.sys-security.com/archive/papers/ICMP_Scanning_v3.0.zip
The file size is ~ 1.75mb when zipped

http://www.sys-security.com/archive/papers/ICMP_Scanning_v3.0.pdf
The file size is ~ 5.39mb.

Look at the individual Unreachable error messages.
They can also be used for D.O.S., covert channels and other security
hazards...

Just my opinion.

Cheers

Ofir Arkin [ofir () sys-security com]
Founder
The Sys-Security Group
http://www.sys-security.com
PGP CC2C BE53 12C6 C9F2 87B1 B8C6 0DFA CF2D D360 43FA