Snort mailing list archives

Re: advice on scaling / performance

From: Joseph Nicholas Yarbrough <nyarbrough () lurhq com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:42:34 -0400

I suppose I need a "We aren't idiots" disclaimer now? An IP on only one
interface, readonly cables on others, and no packet forwarding at all. Not to
mention (actually I did) netfilter rules to protect the machine. I understand
the machine I mentioned could not handle 100mbps (fully saturated) on 4
separate links. From what I read in the list archive, several people agreed a
500mhz duron with 64 megs of ram would be sufficient for a 100mbps with
"spurts" of full saturation. Is this now incorrect?

Thanks guys,
-Nick