Snort mailing list archives

Re: Newbie: Bot Detection Rule

From: Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Date: 21 Jun 2001 16:52:37 -0500

George Yobst <george () lincc lib or us> writes:

Hi Craig,

Sorry about the appalling lack of info.  I'm running
it on a FreeBSD 4.3 Stable with IPFilter as the FW.

My question comes down to this:
The rule(s) I can create, but how do I actually test
them to make sure they work?

Generate the traffic the rule is catching.

I'm not up to creating fake bots.  I don't want to
get one and unleash it on my network.  Is there
a way to create packets with that port number that
I can use to run thru Snort?  Something that will
trigger the alert to make sure it works?

Telnet with the correct ports.  Use netcat.

I don't care about Gibson, the man.  I do care about
his research, and it's potentials.  I want to be
prepared for this kind of attack and I don't want
my organization's computers to be used by the Bots.

Try http://www.undernet.org/ or something like that and get a regular
irc client and try to connect to a server.  You will see identd
connections and you will see the irc signon process

You should be aware that not everyone that uses irc is a leet 15 year
old so you should see your organizations own policies before doing a
chicken little.
--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
A watched process never cores.