Snort mailing list archives

RE: Stopping particular rules

From: Kiira Triea <kiira-t () mail bsasinc org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 10:50:36 -0400 (EDT)

If you do:

grep ICMP /etc/snort/*.rules | awk '{print $1 }' | sort | uniq

you find all that have a rule for ICMP packets, not just those in
icmp.rules. Some actually are more important but you can '#' out the
ones that are clogging up your snort logs like the regular old ping
rules in info.rules.

HTH,

Kiira

Greetings,

I am getting an exorbitant amount of ICMP alerts and want to temporarily
turn them off.  I have tried commenting our the include for the ICMP rules
from snort.conf as well as adding a pass line to local.rules.  Neither of
these seem to stop the influx of ICMP alerts.  Any ideas on what I am doing
wrong?

My local.rules has:
# Pass any ICMP traffic temporarily
pass icmp any any -> any any (msg: "temporarily disabled";)

My snort.conf has:
...snip...