Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort Install Doc

From: "Stefan Dens" <sdens () ovam be>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:03:15 +0200

Hi,

I'm using the same sort of configuration for snort to retrieve raw dump
files from sensor. (I'm using a modified shadow script for that). There is
one thing that I think it would make it safer against data loss, you let the
sensor itself delete the hourly dump files. But what happens if the Console
didn't get the dump file first? (Maybe the console is down!)
I would suggest that the console itself removes the dump files from the
sensor after it checks if the file exist on the console. (In the shadow
scripts that works very well, they use one script to retrieve the data and
analyze it and another script to remove the data from the sensors using a
timed crontab)
A last suggestion, maybe you can add in the scripts for the sensors and the
console a line to synchronize time with a time server.

regards,
Stefan Dens