Snort mailing list archives

Re: Syslog trouble

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 06:00:51 -0700

Michael:

You don't say what OS you're using, but I'm not sure that matters a lot (well, it *may* matter some, but I dunno.. ;-)

Under Linux 2.2.14 I have in snort.conf:

# Use one or more syslog facilities as arguments
# DAEMON = facility; ALERT = priority at man syslog.conf(5)
#
output alert_syslog: LOG_DAEMON LOG_ALERT

And in /etc/syslog.conf I have:

daemon.*          /var/log/daemon

and:

*.info;*.notice;*.warn;\
     mail.none;news.none;authpriv.none     /var/log/messages

Messages appear specifically in /var/log/messages and /var/log/daemon

And messages are picked up out of those by Psionic's logcheck and mailed to me on several boxen..

snort command line:

snort -b -i ppp0 -c /usr/local/snort-1.7/snort.conf &

HTH..

- John

--
John Sage
FinchHaven, Vashon Island, WA, USA

Michael J Clark wrote:

Hey guys,

Im sure this is an easy question but its been giving me trouble for a while.

I can't seem to get anything to log to syslog. Logging is fine in the directories (Im using 1.7).

This is the command line:  snort -i eth1 -D -s -l /var/log/snort

in snort.conf Ive tried output: alert_syslog: LOG_AUTH LOG_INFO

I have also tried without that and still nothing.  Im testing with the rule

alert any any any <> any any (msg: "STUFF: ";)

I'd like to see the alerts go to /var/log/messages. My syslog.conf looks to be ok. Haven't changed it from the default (rh 7.1).

Please reply to my address as well (I use digests).  Thanks

Mike