Snort mailing list archives

RE: What does lightweight mean?

From: Steve Halligan <agent33 () geeksquad com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 14:14:24 -0500

I have been considering Snort as an IDS for our organization,
but several
people have tried to steer me away because Snort is described as
'lightweight.' What does the term lightweight mean or imply?
Does it mean it
can only handle light network traffic streams, or does it
mean it is light
in terms of needed resources? Or is it something else
entirely? Any thoughts
are welcome.

Lightweight= light in terms of needed resources.  There are many VERY high
traffic networks using Snort.  Tier one ISP's, big .edu's, some .gov's.

Also, I am currently running snort in the tcpdump file read
mode, reading
the files that our Shadow IDS created. Shadow only records
the first 68
bytes of each packet in the tcpdump log file. Is this enough
packet data for
the Snort rules? Or will Snort work better with more or the
entire packet?

The entire packet.  Most important stuff will be in the first 68 bytes, but
you are going to miss some stuff in payload content matching.

-Steve