Snort mailing list archives

Rules: reliably ignoring a host

From: Chris Adams <chris () improbable org>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 23:15:05 -0700

We have a busy NFS server which generates a great deal of traffic to most of our machines, including the host running snort. I added it to the portscan ignore list, which worked fine. I want to ignore all NFS traffic from this system for everything else, particularly since it triggers things like the x86 NOP alerts (all those x86 binaries being served...).

Here's the command-line I'm using with snort 1.8p1:
snort -t /var/log/snort -l . -b -c config/snort.conf -o -A fast -m 037 -y

Here are the pass rules:
pass udp any any -> server 2409
pass udp server 2409 -> any any

I've also tested with any instead of the NFS port (I'd like to watch for other UDP activity). Unfortunately, I'm still getting thousands of alerts like these:

08/05/01-20:02:58.497460 [**] [1:648:2] SHELLCODE x86 NOOP [**] [Classification: Potentially Bad Traffic] [Priority: 2] {UDP} NFS_SERVER -> NFS_CLIENT

8/05/01-22:04:52.572829 [**] [1:651:2] SHELLCODE x86 stealth NOOP [**] [Classification: Potentially Bad Traffic] [Priority: 2] {UDP} NFS_SERVER -> NFS_CLIENT

I've changed my config to do something I should have done earlier ($HOME_NET = network/24; $EXTERNAL_NET = !$HOME_NET) which looks like it would solve this but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on *why* this happened.

I was under the impression that since the -o flag causes all pass rules to be applied before any alert rules the two pass rules would thus remove any UDP traffic to or from that server. Obviously, this wasn't happening and I haven't figured out why, despite some quality time with the manuals and google. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Chris