Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort service stop

From: "Oxenreider, Jeff" <jox () safelite com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 15:22:38 -0400

Yes.  We have been having the problem with each of the 1.8 and 1.8 betas.
No errors, no core dumps, no info in the logs, nothing.  Snort just stops.
I have a cron job that checks to see if snort is running every 5 minutes,
just to make sure it stays up.

We've been hoping that it will get better with newer versions, but so far,
we've just been living with it.

This is what we get in the logs:

Aug  6 14:19:33 bomber kernel: device eth1 left promiscuous mode
Aug  6 14:20:01 bomber snort0: Checking PID path...
Aug  6 14:20:01 bomber snort0: PATH_VARRUN is set to /var/run/ on this
operating system
Aug  6 14:20:01 bomber snort0: Initializing daemon mode
Aug  6 14:20:01 bomber kernel: device eth1 entered promiscuous mode
Aug  6 14:20:01 bomber snort0: snort0 startup succeeded
Aug  6 14:20:01 bomber snort0: Snort initialization completed successfully,
Snort running

etc, etc, etc...

I have this issue on 2 of the 9 sensors that I'm running, they just happen
to be the two that i have the most traffic on, so it appears to be a load
related issue.  I can't figure out how to put it into a "debug" or "more
info" kind of mode, but we've been so swamped that it's just been easier to
cron it and restart.  But now we've slowed a bit, and really need to get
this fixed.

Thanks for getting me off my butt... :)

Jeffrey A. Oxenreider
Senior Network/Security Engineer