Snort mailing list archives

CodeRed from non-IIS machines???

From: Tom Kyle <tom () eos umsl edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 14:50:22 -0500

I've been learning Snort on the fly attempting to track down
CodeRed-infected machines here at my university.  Unfortunately, we have
many partially-administered IIS servers on the network.  Fortunately,
that number is dropping as a result of CodeRed and CodeRed II.

I started seeing some very odd things since getting 1.8.1-beta6 up and
running on Solaris8 / Ultra5 last night.  What I'm seeing is several
machines that are NOT Win2k boxes OR running IIS being the sources of
CodeRed I-style overflows.  All IP's seem to be NT4.0 or 98 boxes, some
of them locked-down lab workstation.  The destination addresses are
rather odd, as well, being rather popular surfing destinations, such as
cgi.ebay.com, aolmail.aol.com, www.law8.hotmail.com, and our ISP's
akamaitech cache, not random, off-the-wall hits and misses like I
expected.

I was able to get a peek at one of the machines this morning, and did
not find anything unusual, although Explorer seemed rather willing to
segfault rather frequently.  Coming from a UNIX background, I wasn't
exactly sure where to look for anything nasty, and I was also perplexed
as this was a lab machine that are pretty neatly locked down (AFAIK).

Has anyone else found anything similar?

TIA,

Tom

--