Snort mailing list archives

Re: SNORT

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:55:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Mel Chandler PMI wrote:

I'm new to Linux and SNORT and was wondering if I could get some tips
and/or help.

:)  Welcome to our little corner of packet-land.

I have installed SNORT v1.8 rpm on Red Hat 7.1, when it
complained about missing a file, which I believe was the rules file, I
just supplied it with a blank file.  I'm not sure if there are some sort
of rules I need to download or if it updates them itself.

Err...  I'm not much of a Linux fan, but I'm _really_ hoping that it did come
with some rules of some sort.  If not, you can go to:

http://snort.sourceforge.net/snortrules.tar.gz
http://www.whitehats.com/ids/vision18.rules.gz

And pick what you want. :)

I've been seeing a lot of activity (80-90% ARP Broadcasts), but so far
SNORT reports no activity.  Is there a way to test it and ensure it is
working ok.

I'm going to guess you are on a DSL line.  :)  If so, you're seeing quite a
bit of CodeRed backscatter.  It's looking for folks in the same segments so it
causes a _lot_ of ARPage.  *bleh*

Also, is there some where I show get updated rules from?  I
kept clicking on links on the website for rules, but came to the download
page and couldn't find anything.  Any help would be great.

Grab them from those two links, and you should be ready!

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy
TheAdamsFamily.Net