Snort mailing list archives

Re: DB Rules

From: "Jason Robertson" <jason () ifuture com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 22:07:29 -0400

actually you wouldn't have to worry so much about -HUPing the database, if
it's running a sql database, or the likes just insert the data directly into the
database, when you are ready you rehup everything, it would then open a
connection to the database do select * from rules, and then close the
database.  As for others, that's what clustered databases, can be used for.

It's the methodolgy I am using for my pam module actually for postgresql,
which is a multiple database engine design, so I have a backup which both
db's update each other, though I am planning to add a front end to that as
well.. to provide a caching option, to store a number of transactions.. Though
I wish the db servers had an option to cache in a connection, especially
inserts, which can be where the biggest delays can occur.

But the biggest benefit, is that you can simplify, and reduce the number of
areas to maintain, it is the reason for my sql pam and nss modules I have
been working on and going nuts on it.. I am thinking of a different system, I
would love to use kerberos, but after looking at it.. I don't have a need for that
level of system, and then again using DES, there is now programs that can
crack DES in real time, so since it's pretty much internal anyways, I am
working on a networked auth system.. for that purpose..

jason