Snort mailing list archives

Snort Compiling with mysql support

From: JSeddon () semtech com
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 17:06:04 -0700

I poked around in the list archives, the faq, and google and couldn't find
anything on this so please forgive me if I missed it.  I'm trying to
compile snort to support loggin to a db.

I'm using the snort.1.8.1-RELEASE version.

I installed the linux binary dist of mysql from mysql.org
(mysql-3[1].23.40-).  It's installed in /usr/local/mysql according to the
mysql directions.  I've configured it according to the directions from
incident.org/snortdb but I don't think I'm even getting far enough for that
to matter.

I run ./configure and it doesn't see the mysql so it doen't compile support
for it.  So after RTFM'in, i run "./configure
--with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql".  This time it finds it.  Here's a portion
of the configure output:

checking for mysql... yes
checking for compress in -lz... (cached) yes
checking for odbc... no
checking for postgresql... no
checking for oracle... no
checking for openssl... yes
checking for u_int8_t... (cached) yes
checking for u_int16_t... (cached) yes
checking for u_int32_t... (cached) yes
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating config.h

Looks good so far.  So next I run make.  It finishes so fast and doesn't
list anything so I don't think it's actually recompiling anything.  But I
run make install anyway.  So I run snort with no commands just to see if
it'll get going.  It doesn't.  Here's the a portion of the snort output:

database: compiled support for ( )
database: configured to use mysql
database: mysql support is not compiled in this copy

There's where I'm stumped.  I'm not sure how I can get it to compile with
the mysql support.  If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

Thanks for your help!

James