Snort mailing list archives

logging entire sessions

From: Avleen Vig <avleen () ivision co uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 00:48:01 +0100 (BST)

Anyone know if this feature is availible in Snort?
I've been playing arounf with 1.8.1 a bit and not as much as I should
have :)  but I've not seen anything like the following.

If indeed it's not availible, I'd like to suggest it as a feature for
<put version here>.

When an alert of type x is triggered, I can consider it minor and ignore
the one-off. Or type x could be traffic I see daily but don't want to
remove from my logs. We'll call type x 'non-hostile'.

Then there is type y. When I see packets of type y, I don't just want to
log them but I want to tcpdump the entire session with the offending src
forthe next z minutes. I would think this is a semi-obvious thing..
someone is attacking your network, so you capture all their traffic!

Is this possible?

--

Avleen Vig, Systems Administrator
Email: avleen () ivision co uk               Mobile: (07974) 100 573

Internet Vision                                Tel: 020 7589 4500
60 Albert Court                                Fax: 020 7589 4522
Prince Consort Road                            info () ivision co uk
London. SW7 2BE                         http://www.ivision.co.uk/