Snort mailing list archives

Re: Beginner w/ IDS and snort

From: Wesley Eddy <weddy () masaka cs ohiou edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 14:43:32 -0400

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 11:02:49AM -0700, Snail945 wrote:

I'm thinking about using either a Linux/SNORT/DEMARC solution or a Windows
2000/SNORT solution for the IDS.  I come from many years of administering
Windows based systems and am very comfortable administering and securing
them, but am sorta a "beginner to intermediate" with Linux and Unix.  That
said, I'm very much open to building this IDS on the "ideal platform" and
doing whatever research and testing is required to make it successful.  I'm
comfortable with cli, but regardless of platform, I'd like to have a
front-end that provides meaningful "quick-glance" information, and a way to
sort through all the data.

I guess I would reccommend Linux, not because it's free, but because so
many great tools exist for dealing with logs and responding to alerts
on Unix-like operating systems, and Linux support tends to be a bit better
than it is for say Solaris x86 or NetBSD simply because more people run it.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider the Windows "solution".  It has always
amazed me that not only has snort (and many other such programs for that
matter) been ported to Windows, but that there actually exists a userbase
for it on that platform.  This puzzles me to no end.  To be perfectly frank,
the very idea of running an IDS on a non-Unix-like operating system is
laughable at the present time.  Of course, anyone administering Windows platforms
has a lot more need for a good IDS with things like CodeRed running around,
but when your IDS box gets cracked, I assume it's rather embarrassing, so
why not go with a real operating system for the sensor?

Perhaps I'm missing something or am just a cranky old fart, but I'd really
like to know why there exists a desire to run snort on Windows.  Could
someone please enlighten me?

Do You Yahoo!?

No.

-Wes

--
"I can't see too well, what's it all about?  I don't know man, did you poke
your eyes out?"         -Angry Samoans, "Lights Out"