Snort mailing list archives

Snort 1.8.1 Win32 MSSQL

From: "Burleson, Lee (IA)" <Lee.Burleson () ia ngb army mil>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 09:08:04 -0500

Greetings.

It looks as though a dll needs to be included in the distribution of 1.8.1
Win32 MSSQL.

Testing:
*  normal download, unzip, and config of Win32 MSSQL distro fails with a
~'missing ntwdblib.dll' (I'll spare you the entire message) Windows error.
*  normal download, unzip, and config of Win32 -standard- distro works fine.
*  copied ntwdblib.dll from another PC with the SQL 2000 client installed to
%snortdir%
*  Win32 MSSQL distro now works

I guess some would just say the fix is "Install the SQL client", but in the
interest of security, I put forth that that is not the best idea.  With a
simple file copy the problem is solved; I did not even have to register it.
Now that I've given it some thought, there _might_ be restrictions on
distribution of that file, so I think the _final_ solution may be an
addition to the DB README that instructs the user to copy the file from an
existing SQL Server installation.

- Lee