Snort mailing list archives

RE: snortreport -- SLOOOW

From: "John Berkers" <berjo () ozemail com au>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 23:05:48 +1000

Jason,

I have a similar sized dataset in one of my snort databases (yes I've got a
couple, most with similar sized datasets).  Using postgres (originally) I
found that on a P Pro 180 with 128Mb RAM & 1+4Gb SCSI (40Mbps) ACID was
painfully slow.  Since switching to MySQL I have had much better response.
Plus, using the chaching feature on Acid 0.9.6b13 improves performance
somewhat as well, esp if you set it to manually cache.

I find that Acid is generally more useful for identifying particular types
of traffic than either snortreport or Demarc, although both have their uses.
I actually use all of them in tandem to analyse my data, except that
Snortreport does not seem to respond at all on my large dataset.

If you're using Demarc you need to create the database using Demarc's create
tables script, then run Acid on the database to get it to create it's
tables.  Snort report doesn't utilise it's own tables, so there's no hassle
there.

I'm slowly working on reducing our false positives, but with a Class couple
(up to 5) class C's and a Class B to protect it is quite a daunting task.

Hope that helps some.

Regards,
John Berkers                                       ICQ: 112912
Network Services              -             Hansen Corporation
john.berkers () hancorp com au               berjo () ozemail com au