Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort dying

From: Skip Carter <skip () taygeta com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 12:33:08 -0700

At 04:17 PM 9/10/01 +0200, you wrote:
it doesn't matter which version you use - I used both, on my both
Slack 7.1 boxes happens the same. But not equally frequentlly on both,
although both are configured just the same

I am seeing this as well on my Mandrake 8.0 box. I just upgraded to snort
1.8.1 and within i a day it has mysteriously stopped logging. Unfortunately
it was over the weekend so I was unable to diagnose what was going on at
the time. I have plenty of disk space and nothing was out of the ordinary.

     I am having a similar problem, but only with OpenBSD;  Snort 1.8.1
     works as I expect it should on my Linux box.   There were no problems
     when running 1.7 on either OS.

     I have taken to writing a cron job to restore snort when it dies
     unexpectedly.  It typically happens once or twice a day.

--
 Dr. Everett (Skip) Carter      Phone: 831-641-0645 FAX:  831-641-0647
 Taygeta Scientific Inc.        INTERNET: skip () taygeta com