Snort mailing list archives

RE: UUnet dns server portscans filling up log.. causing email of real alerts to crash

From: Jeff Ito <jeffi () rcn com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:17:27 -0400 (EDT)

This is how I solved my problem:

use the -F option in snort for "BPF" rules

(i use "bpf.rules")

my bpf.rules rules file reads

not 'src host x.x.x.x and port 53'

where x.x.x.x is of course the ip of the dns server

I really dont know why the ignore preprocessor doesnt work, but this is
the approach I took for what seems to be the exact same problem...

Jeff

interesting , thanks Jeff : this seems to be the way to go...

can you send me some specifics on how you installed that tcpdump  rule
set?

Is there any other way to do this? and why doesnt the ignore portscan
hosts preprocessor work in this scenario?

       i dont really want to have to use tcpdump files if i dont have
to: i have plenty of space on the drives and it would screw up the mail
alert script that i have built.

*snip - apparent port scan from external DNS server*