Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort FAQ 1.8

From: Ramin Alidousti <ramin () cannon eng us uu net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:29:38 -0400

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 01:34:17PM -0500, Burleson, Lee (IA) wrote:

Don't people usually want to know _why_ it is important?  I.e., what are the
security implications of this event?

I just thought that if you are going to devote the space to question 4.8,
that fundamental question should be answered.  :)

Good point. Phil's answer is actually the complete answer to the
question below. The context in which such an ICMP gets generated
depends on the network/host/service situation. But, I think,
Phil's answer gives enough background information so the users
can figure out what was going on in their particular case.

Ramin

Thanks for listening.

- Lee

Q: What are all these "ICMP destination unreachable" alerts?