Snort mailing list archives

Re: Re: alert logging of non local lan SSH connections.

From: Marsiske Stefan <stefan.marsiske () sysdata siemens hu>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 09:31:15 +0200

ssh puts the username into your syslog, on a new connection. and i think some
other stuff also (successful identification/or not)

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 11:06:04PM -0400, Brian wrote:
According to Travis Farmer:
How do i setup an alert to log remote SSH connections (just the headers and
possibly the username used if possible).

username?  you don't.  That is after the encryption has taken over.

You can log a short bit of the connection before encryption takes hold
with this.

alert any any -> yourserver 22 (msg:"SSH to sensor"; flags:S; \
      tag: session, 300, packets;)

--
Brian Caswell
Snort Rules Bastard