Snort mailing list archives

Re: Anyone know of a good switch for snorting?

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 14:33:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Jeff Anderson wrote:

Snort has been working great so far, on the outside of my firewall.  I'm
logging to a central mysql db and using demarc for monitoring.  Now I'd like
to start monitoring the internal network, except that our switch doesn't
have a mirror port.  Can anyone suggest a good 16-port 100Mbps switch, that
has a mirror port for a snort sensor?  Feel free to respond off the list if
this has been discussed before.  Thanks in advance,

You've really got another option:: Shomiti Taps.  Might be a bit less cash
than a good switch.

Switch suggestions:  Cisco 2924.  I don't think you can beat it at the lower
end.  If you're doing Data Center level stuff, look at a 6509 series.  Or at
least that what my wife, the network geek, tells me.  :-)

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy
TheAdamsFamily.Net