Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort-Machine = Security Hole?

From: "Hawrylkiw, Dan G" <dan.g.hawrylkiw () intel com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 08:32:44 -0700

This is exactly why you can (should) leave IPChains denying all on the snort
interface.
Snort will still see all the traffic and the Kernel will still drop
everything...

Obviously, a tap or spliced cable can keep anything from being sent from the
snort interface.  Taps are expensive and often ruled out. The spliced cable
is kind of a work-around and may not be acceptable in many environments..

/Dan Hawrylkiw