Snort mailing list archives

Re: network output strategies (was: Rotating '-b'logs...)

From: Ben Hughes <ben.hughes () uk easynet net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 14:30:33 +0100

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 08:27:01AM -0400, Kiira Triea wrote:

Hmmm... I've been thinking about this too but thought perhaps using
perl's IO::Socket modules to write a local client for a UDP connection
to the remote server - have snort sensors write to to the local client

ssh would probably be too expensive in all honesty, netcat or some perl,
i agree.. (:

What would really work well for what I need is to be able to have
the server (Socket listener/data receiver) output to different
sources depending on Alert directives - I want a database of alerts
to cover a large timespan for instance, but I want a binary tcpdump
to be triggered by an alert which would be linked by a database
key to the triggering alert - so that I can trace through a possible
intrusion sequence.  I know that the "tag" and "session" directives
address this... I just haven't gotten around to setting everything
up the way I need it. Yikes I better get some coffee.

coffee is the way, it is sounding XML'ing over the wire to somewhere
that sorts out what to do with it...

hmm, coffee..

--
Ben Hughes, <ben.hughes [at] uk.easynet.net>