Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort automaticly rules update

From: Dr SuSE <drsuse () drsuse org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 19:01:49 GMT

It sure is.  There are a few scripts floating around that will do that.
Here's one I used to download the latest vision.rules and remove the rules that
I didnt need or want.  This might not be the best example but it worked for me
and that's all that really matters.....me :)  If you want to run it every
month, just cron it.  One thing to remember, the script does not know if the
entire rules file was downloaded.  If it was only able to do a partial download
due to network or server issues, it would not know and it would end up loading
an incomplete rules file.

What's that?  You say your gonna order a unix shell scripting book from
bookpool and write us a kick as script which will update our snort rules and
check the integrity of the rule files.  Dude, you rock!  Let us know when it's
ready.

#!/bin/sh
cd /tmp
wget -q http://www.whitehats.com/ids/vision.rules.gz
gunzip /tmp/vision.rules.gz
/etc/rc.d/snort stop
rm /etc/snort/rules/vision.rules
sed -e '/IDS175/d' -e '/IDS221/d' -e '/IDS226/d' -e '/IDS227/d' -e '/IDS243/d' -
e '/IDS259/d' -e '/IDS298/d' /tmp/vision.rules > /etc/snort/rules/vision.rules
rm /tmp/vision.rules
/etc/rc.d/snort start
echo Vision Rules Updated!

is it possible to somehow make my box to download every other month or so
new rules from snort website and update them?

Score my PGP key @
http://www.drsuse.org/pks