Snort mailing list archives

Re: Arachnids references in snort 1.8 rules

From: Brian Caswell <bmc () mitre org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:07:21 -0400

John Berkers wrote:
I was going through trying to use the snort.org ruleset instead of the
vision rules, and searched for the alterations I used to make to the vision
rules to customise for our network when I noticed that some of the arachnids
references in the snort.org rules don't quite match.  One in particular was
in relation to IDS171, there were a few others too, can't remember them off
the top of my head right now.  These references were off by one number
whenever I found them though.

Any chance of getting this rectified?  Any help required, I'd be happy to
supply more info, search through the entire rulebase etc, whatever's
required.

Ask and you shall receive.  Maintaining a ruleset takes quite a bit of
time.  (Validating, developing, researching, cleaning, checking for
duplicates, wash, rinse, repeat)

I'm open for suggestions, criticism, opinions, and help.  Anything but
flaming is welcome.  Discussion of this should be moved to snort-sigs
though...

--
Brian Caswell
The MITRE Corporation