Snort mailing list archives

newbie to snort

From: jevon <jspive1 () umbc edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 05:15:30 -0400 (EDT)

I am about to install snort on my network and I have a few questions.

1. I was putting a few snort boxes on my network on in front of the
firewall and a few other places.  My question is if I want to my snort box
stealth I read in snort faq, to make an receive-only cable.  If I don that
how will I be able to send stats via email?  What should I do?

2. I was going to plug one of my snort box in to a switch, will this work
ok? the switch is a 3com linkswith 500.

3. Also if I build a box with 2 or 3 nic in it, will this help the snort
box to capture all the traffic to insure no lost packets?

4. Also, if I use a 486 DX with 64megs of memory, when that be ok on a
100mb and 10mb network?

Thanks for the help.