Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort running at 99% CPU

From: Blake Frantz <blake () mc net>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 10:24:44 -0600 (CST)

Devdas,

Are you running 2.4.3?  Monday I will install 2.4.13 and 2.2.x and let
you know if I see any differences.  I think we may be onto something with
the kernel version.

<snip>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 15:26:49 -0800
From: Steven P. Donegan <steve () donegan org>
To: Blake Frantz <blake () mc net>
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Snort running at 99% CPU

I think 7.1 shipped with a 2.4.3 kernel - known to have some weirdness -
perhaps try going to 2.4.13 (current)?
</snip>

-Blake

Blake, could you try this on a 2.2.x kernel? I am not sure about this,
but given that I get similar problems with squid on 2.4.x, I think its
not a snort problem but a glibc/kernel problem.
Squid on my system (PIII 600, 1GB ram, 2.4.x any) and snort here both
show similar problems (gettimeofday()).

Devdas Bhagat