Snort mailing list archives

Re: Definitions of snort signatures

From: Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 08:40:57 -0600

"Don Weber" <Don.Weber () iris tamucc edu> writes:

I am doing a research project, analyzing our schools network for
attacks, and I am getting good results using snort and snortsnarf.
But I have no idea what the signatures mean.  Is there any
documentation anyplace that explains what each signature means and why
the packet was flagged?

A good number of the rules have a references field.  This maps to
information about the rule.

The reason packets are flagged is because they match the rule and the
reason the rule was written is often described in the refernces
section.

SnortSnart parses them and provides links or you can look at
sp_reference.h

#define BUGTRAQ_URL_HEAD   "http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/";
#define CVE_URL_HEAD       "http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=";
#define ARACHNIDS_URL_HEAD "http://www.whitehats.com/info/IDS";
#define MCAFEE_URL_HEAD    "http://vil.nai.com/vil/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=";
#define URL_HEAD           "http://";

eg: reference: bugtraq, 1991 -> http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1991
--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.