Snort mailing list archives

Re: half the net for multiple snort processes

From: Fyodor <fygrave () tigerteam net>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 06:02:52 +0700

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 05:23:00PM -0500, Jamil Farshchi wrote:
hello all,

We want to utilize two processors by halving the possible addresses that
each snort process will monitor. For instance, we want one processor (and
subsequently one snort process) to monitor half of all the possible
Internet addresses and then have another processor monitor the rest. We are
[snip]
The questions:
1. How would we specify this configuration in the snort.conf files? I think

2. Will this configuration actually decrease the packet loss we are
experiencing?

IMHO the best you can try is to use libcap filters here:

this way you could potentially split whole traffic by netmasks..
alternatively you could make per-port/per/host split as well. On BSD
where these filters are actually processed in kernel space, it may
improve the performance.. or it may not, give it a try.