Snort mailing list archives

Re: rules update

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 14:25:26 -0500

This is true, so my complexity argument against automatic cron job updates
of rule files is invalid.

Still it is not likely a good idea to automatically update from a cron job
for the other reasons (purposeful or accidental check-in dysfunctional
rules, etc).

True, I don't recommend auto-updating ever, but that's my personal
preference (I have a number of reasons for it, of course). :)

And with CVS there is the further issue that the current CVS snort rules
may only work with the current CVS code, so if you update one, you should
consider updating both.

Right.  I will say that I don't think we're going to be making any
changes to the rule spec for a bit though.

Perhaps I'm off-base, but it does strike me as a bad idea to automatically
pull rules updates from CVS. Although I do agree with the idea of using cvs
update to pull out the latest rules manually with minimal headaches.

Yup.  Auto-incorporation is a bad idea, but you can certainly see what's
going on, what's changed and have an active method of getting updates
without hosing your configuration.

     -Marty

Anyone have any more insightful comments on that issue than I can provide?