Snort mailing list archives

Re: Custom rule sets

From: Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 10:30:58 -0600

"Madhav Diwan" <mdiwan () wagweb com> writes:

Hello,

 A few quick questions for those in the know,

If I make a custom rule for some type of signature that i define myself
and i dont have a sid  in the rule .. how does this affect the placement
of an alert from that rule into a Snort MySQL database ?

Custom ( User defined ) rules can use the 1000000+ sid range.

who ( what agency,... or is it Marty or someone else on development
teams ) defines the sid number for a signature?

The snort development team is the official answer for that I believe

how do we submit signatures for inclusion into the rulesets?

Post to snort sigs

Is each sid unique?

Yes ( supposed to be )

.. what role does the revision number play?...

Rules aren't always right the first time

The two big questions would be:

****CAN I MAKE AN INDEX of the rules based on SID numbers?... this would
help in creating an autoupdate utility for the rule sets.

yes. This is what sid-msg.map is

****How do i define my own rule numbers/ sid numbers without messing up
the way i update rules from cvs..
I.E.  is there a set of sid numbers that is RESERVED for user defined
sigantures?

Yup see above.

http://www.snort.org/docs/writing_rules/chap2.html#tth_sEc2.3.26

Finally,

what other ways are there for us to uniquly tag custom signature rules?

Your own custom prefix msg. Your own rule type. Your own include
file.  etc.

--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone.