Snort mailing list archives

RE: Encrypted sessions

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 22:57:03 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Abe L. Getchell wrote:

[...snip...]

What I would love to see is a crypto feature built into Snort much like
has been built into tcpdump (compiled using './configure --with-crypto'
and used at run-time using 'tcpdump -E <stuff>'), with a little more
flexibility (more algorithm options, better support for the ESP RFC's,
etc).  If the correct key or passphrase is known, it could be provided
to Snort at run-time, traffic could be decrypted on the fly by a
preprocessor, and the clear text data checked against the rule set being
used.

That would indeed be a kick ass pre/post processor to have!

The one major drawback I see to this approach is the possibility of
processor saturation.  A Snort box in a high-traffic environment already
has it's hands full checking packets against the large number of sigs
common in networks such as these.  Chances are, it wouldn't have many
free proc cycles to perform such a processor intensive task as
decrypting data.  This feature would thus only be useful in a
low-traffic environment without introducing a packet loss problem.

Hrm...  This brings to mind something--Sun and IBM are both sporting Crypto
Accelerator cards.  Intel (and 3com?) now have a crypto chip built into some
ethernet cards...  With the benefit of those two bits of hardware, I wonder
how much saturation you would get?  If the key/algorithm is known, and can
have a decoder built for it, it should scream!  And no, I'm not a Crypto
Monkey, nor do I play one on T.V.  :)

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy