Snort mailing list archives

RE: VLAN tagging question

From: Graeme Fowler <graeme.fowler () hosteurope com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 14:53:05 -0000

Andrew Wild wrote:

OK, I understand this, but I want to monitor multiple
VLANs at the same time without having to span ports and
use multiple ethernet interfaces on my IDS host.

Might be a long shot, but you could do worse than patch your kernel with
either of the different VLAN patches available from:

http://vlan.sourceforge.net
http://scry.wanfear.com/~greear/vlan.html

The second of these appears to have made it into the later versions of 2.4.x
(from 2.4.14) so might be the better bet, although I've used code from the
former developers before (the bridge patches) and they were rather neat.

If you run an 802.1q VLAN-capable kernel, then you should be able to create
VLAN interfaces and have all the tags stripped before the packets reach
Snort. Give it a whirl - if it works it'll be a worthwhile addition to
everyone's armoury, I suspect!

Graeme
--
Graeme Fowler