Snort mailing list archives

Multi Snort and MS SQL

From: "Stephen Shepherd" <drew600_1999 () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 10:27:50 -0700

If you want to use MSSQL then you will have to configure your Snort engines
to write directly to the MSSQL DB.  The sensors(engines) will have to be
running on a WIN32 platform to do this. I have included some brief
instructions on how to do this.  There are MSSQL snort executables on the
silicon defense web site

http://www.silicondefense.com/

If your sensors are not WIN32 then you will have to use MYSQL or Postgres (I
would use MySql since barnyard will support it).  If you go this route I
would recommend using barnyard to do the DB Writes.  If you let snort do the
DB writes and you have a lot of traffic you will start dropping packets  due
to the overhead.  Barnyard does not currently support MSSQL so if you go the
MSSQL route your only option is to have snort log directly to the DB.

Finally once you get your snort alerts into a DB you will want ACID to do
the analysis.  You can find ACID info on the SD website and the ACID
website.

http://www.cert.org/kb/acid/

Brief MSSQL Instructions:

Well they don't have a sheet yet. Mike asked me to type one up but I have

yet to get time. Here are the basic steps:

1.) Have SQL installed and running either local or on another box.

2.) Create a DB called snort on the SQL server

3.) Use the sql script mssql.conf that comes with the Win32 distribution.

This is a text file with TSQL statements for creating the tables. You can

run this in many different ways, but I used SQL Query analyzer tool

4.) Create a User for the snort DB and make sure it has enough rights to

add/updated the DB. I just made my snortuser DBO for the snort DB.

5.) The machine that is running Snort will need the MS SQL client installed.

Install this by running SQL Server setup on the workstation and selecting

the client tools install.

6.) Configure the DB plug-in line in snort.conf to point to the right DB

server and give it the appropriate credentials.

that's the best I can come up with from memory right now. Give it a try and

see how it goes.

Message: 2