Snort mailing list archives

Snort dies and leaves no reason why? Any ideas?

From: Wayne Ringling <wayne () tbnets com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 23:37:12 UTC

I setup a new SuSE 7.3 i386 box (actually it's a PII 333, 256meg ram, 2
20gig hd's, 2 Accton 1207D Fast-ethernet cards).

 Now I set up eth0 for internal network (but have yet to plug a cable
into it)
 Then I set up eth1 for external network and installed a receive only
eth cable as the how says to run is stealth mode.

 Ok, now software stuff.  Kernel is a 2.4.10,  snort is version1.8.1.
Both are stock from the SuSE cd.  Now I set up snort and start it and it
will run for a while (last time 2 days approx.) then in
/var/log/messages I see eth1: left promiscous mode.  And that's it.  I
have searched for core files and all the other logs are clean.

 I am now running snort in debug mode hoping that I will get some info
on the screen why it is stoping by itself. I presume I should run it
with -d instead of -D correct for debug mode?

Wayne