Snort mailing list archives

Re: questions hids & nids

From: "Jason Robertson" <jason () ifuture com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 17:32:14 -0500

On 12 Dec 2001 at 15:33, Ronneil Camara wrote:

Hi guys,

I've got some questions here:

1. Why would I need nids if I already have hids installed on every
machine?
It is always useful, a HIDS, like tripwire, only tells you if a machine
is compromised, but as well this can be faked or corrupted, but this
will not tell you for example if you are getting unusual packets, or
something that might not be logged.  Or how about receiving packets to
a non-logged port.  Also remember if they gain root access they could
update the database for tripwire.

2. What about performace issues of snort, how does snort cope up with
network traffic?
   How does it perform on 100mbps? Does it have something to do with
NICs?

Really based on the computer it's on, and the NIC's you are running,
the 3com cards, if I am correct, do have a bug in which some packets
can be dropped. (interupt problem, any one found a good fix for this
yet?)

3. Is it possible for snort to log to a remote syslog server? If so,
what
   entry in snort.conf would it be? Has anyone configured his snort to
log
   to cisco cvwms?
Yeah just add the forwarding to syslog.conf
@host should do it
--
Jason Robertson
Network/Security Analyst