Snort mailing list archives

Snort on IP tables firewalls

From: Dennis Henderson <hendo () hendohome com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 21:16:03 -0500

Oinkers and Oinkettes...

In order to witness or suffer a code red or nimda attack, one must allow traffic on port 80. Without allowing a connection to be established the GET /scr_pts/r__t.e_e ... can never occur.

Bob is on the right track with his explanation.

From the sounds of James' configuration, I would bet that he has a web server on port 80, but blocks access from the Internet.

When he flushes the iptables, his machine will then answer to syn packets on port 80 allowing the attacker to issue the get commands.

I run snort on an iptables firewall. I also have a intenet accessible web server in my network. In order for the world to be able to see the sheer simplicity of my humble homepage, I have to allow port 80 traffic through to the webserver. Therefore I see many code red and nimda attacks every day. Fortunately my apache server simply says....

404  have a nice day.....

Hendo

Message: 16