Snort mailing list archives

Re: Subject: Reload rules w/o restarting ? (or overwriting snort.log)

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 11:28:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 Steve.Rudolph () jwt com wrote:

Maybe I have a problem here then.  It does overwrite the logfile everytime
and does not seem to save the old one!
This is my run command: /usr/local/bin/snort -i eth0 -b -o -l
/var/snort/logs/ -L snort.log -c /var/snort/conf/snort.conf -D
Might there be something in the snort.conf file?

hrm...  What version of snort are you using?  With the CVS version, I get the
following:
---
[erek@foofus]/local/home/snort/var/log/snort#snort -V

-*> Snort! <*-
Version 1.8.1-current (Build 82)
By Martin Roesch (roesch () sourcefire com, www.snort.org)
[erek@ifoofus]/local/home/snort/var/log/snort#ls -l 1015*
-rw-------   1 snort    snort          0 Oct 15 11:14 1015 () 111-snort log
[erek@ifoofus]/local/home/snort/var/log/snort#
---

Perhaps you might want to upgrade if it's an older version?

On the snort.conf side the only line that I have configured for output is:

--
output log_tcpdump: snort.log
--

Hope that helps!