Snort mailing list archives

Re: whats the meaning

From: Fyodor <fygrave () tigerteam net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 21:27:39 +0700

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 07:47:14AM -0400, Greg Sarsons wrote:
Just did a search and didn't see what I want so I'm asking

I've got snort logging on a nic that doesn't have an IP address.  This
am I just check syslog and saw a 5 or six entries from snort saying ICMP
Unreachable IP short Header ( 1 bytes)

Very likely icmp unreach packet with corrupted fields. (not enough data
of original datagram or something). Some 'broken' ip stacks could
generate such. (read Ofir's paper for more details).