Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-devel] problems with snort reading from stdin

From: Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 20:31:00 -0500

<tlewis () mindspring com> writes:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Chris Green wrote:

Theres no reason I can think of to use tcpdump and snort in a pipe
together.

You could be pulling a large tcpdump file from, say, a network
connection and not have enough space or time to store it on disk
locally first.

and you've not got a copy of snort on the machine that first had a
copy of the tcpdump file.  That said, you've come up with a
theoretical situation that I missed although I doubt there was that
netcat-like streaming situation by the origninal poster

:-)

--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
You now have 14 minutes to reach minimum safe distance.