Snort mailing list archives

RE: Real time monitoring and/or notification?

From: "Frank Reid" <fcreid () ourcorner org>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 18:44:20 -0400

For human-readable near "real-time" monitoring, you might want to use
ACID... I've found the "Last Few Alerts" view is a great way of seeing
what's going on.  It uses the PHP refresh time variable defined in
acid_conf.php, so active networks might need to set this to a relatively
low refresh time.

For email alerting, I've had excellent luck with Swatch.  Swatch is a
generic (non-Snort specific) utility that monitors the system log
looking for "trigger" keywords and, when found, send email containing
the trigger line to a defined address.  In order to use it, you'll need
to log to the syslog (at least).

What I've done (based on previous recommendations from this list) is
create an alert type ("redalert", nominally) that sends alerts to both
syslog and the MySQL database plugin.  In this manner, only alerts of
high interest get logged.  In the text (msg:) block of the alerts, I put
a "trigger" keyword, e.g. "RedAlert", that Swatch awaits and notifies.

Search back a few weeks on this list (via www.deja.com) for "Snort
Swatch alert" and you'll find a better discussion/explanation of the
process.

Frank