Snort mailing list archives

strange promiscuous behaviour.

From: Brock Henry <bhenry () shorelink nsw gov au>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 13:40:39 +1000

Hi :)

I recently installed snort (again), and had it working initially, but then it stopped for no apparent reason.

even snort -dvi eth0 only gave back minimal traffic, arp's and other broadcasted(?) traffic.

in /var/log/messages each time I started snort it "left promiscuous mode", and each time stopped snort it "entered promiscuous mode", as opposed to the other way around.

I read in the archives about libpcap not checking promisc mode, and just toggling it. So I cycled the machine so it started back in the correct mode, then snort worked properly.

It didn't matter if snort was in daemon mode or not. I'm not sure how the problem started, but I'll keep an eye on it, just thought I'd mention my experiences.

Brock Henry

** Brock Henry - brockh () ozemail com au (H) - bhenry () shorelink nsw gov au (W) **
** Adventure? Excitement? A Jedi craves not these things.**