Snort mailing list archives

Re: Help with Hub and Router setup

From: SecurityGauntlet <securitygauntlet () snet net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 21:33:21 -0400

Well, let's see. The linksys router has the capability to put a machine Link a snort box as a DMZ host. Plug the Snort box into the Router direct. Set up the router with DMZ hosting. Make the DMZ machine stealth (use the cable mod on the Snort sites).

The router does the connection authentication for your cable drop. This needs to be the ONLY NIC viewable ( machine which has viability or can be see on your perimeter) from the cable company. Make sure you use the MAC spoofing ( set the MAC address spoofing of the registered computer) to address the cable companies requirement for authentication. Make sure you are NATing all inside addresses. You can start the Linux ether card without an IP address.

Then just start SNORTING AWAYYYYYYY