Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort on reverse proxy

From: Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 08:43:03 -0600

"e-mail lists" <lists () darrenmackay com> writes:

Hi,

[...]

I have been considering running snort on the reverse proxy to
further filter requests to the database web server.
Unfortunately, for the time being, I have no other hardware to
install snort elsewhere. Apache configured as a reverse proxy is
the only service on this box. there are no other devices on the
reverse proxy network.

Can someone advise of the suitability of running snort on the
reverse proxy to filter requests?

Snort doesn't filter. Check out http://hogwash.sourceforge.net for
snort-based filtering.

What is the preferred database and why (the client has postgres
experience and no mysql experience)

In high traffic situations, none.  Back when I used to play with
snortdb, it was easier to tune mysql than postgres.
--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
A good pun is its own reword.