Snort mailing list archives

Re: Help me please :(

From: James Hoagland <hoagland () SiliconDefense com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 08:19:27 -0800

At 11:35 AM +0530 2/13/02, Santosh M Hulkund wrote:
 Hi Gurus,

        I need u r help, if u can spare few minutes to read this mail. I am
just a beginner, I installed Snort Version 1.8.4-beta1 (Build 91) on one of
my Linux box. For testing I changed the telnet.rules as

        alert tcp any any  -> 10.10.XXX.XXX 23

With no rule options, here 10.10.XXX.XXX is my Linux box. I ran snort. After
this I tried to telnet on this Linux box, so that it would generate alert. I
checked the alert file in /var/log/snort, there was some data present.

Then I ran snortsnarf.pl -d /home/santosh/www -ldir /var/log/snort, so that
it would generate a html page. The output was

0 alerts found using input module SnortFileInput, with sources:
/var/log/snort.alert

What could be the reason, If the question is very silly pardon me.

Note the discrepancy between the file your alerts are stored in (/var/log/snort) and the file SnortFileInput tried to get your alerts from (/var/log/snort.alert). Since you did not specify an input file on the command line, SnortSnarf tried its default. Add '/var/log/snort' to the end of your snortsnarf.pl command line.

Inspired by this message, the next version of SnortSnarf will have better warning when input files do not exist.

Regards,

  Jim

--
|*      Jim Hoagland, Associate Researcher, Silicon Defense      *|
|*            --- Silicon Defense: IDS Solutions ---             *|