Snort mailing list archives

RE: single ip address

From: "Erickson Brent W KPWA" <erickson () kpt nuwc navy mil>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 19:26:23 -0800

Hi Scott,

If you would like to ignore an address that is setting off a particular
alert rule (not port scan pre-processor or stealth scan) and say for example
that the destination port for the rule was 98 (Linux Config) and the host
was on your $HOME_NET,

you could do:

pass tcp 192.168.12.4/32 any -> any 98

And from the snort command line invoke the o option to call the pass rules.

Example:

snort -d -o -A fast -c snort.conf

or:

pass tcp 192.168.12.4/32 any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 98

or if udp:

pass udp 192.168.12.4/32 any -> any 98

If the offending node is setting off the port scan pre-processor
(non-stealth)

you could do:

define the variable in snort.conf

var DNS2 192.168.12.4

and then in pre-processor portscan ignore: $DNS2

If the offending node is triggering the stealth code for the port scan
pre-processor or stream 4, you need a Berkeley Packet filter:

for example at the command line:

snort -d -A fast -c snort.conf not (src host 192.168.12.4 and dst port 98)

src is source, dst is destination.

Hope this will help, and if I have made any glaring errors I trust that my
snort friends will take two drinks and correct me.

Brent Erickson