Snort mailing list archives

Re: barnyard-0.1.0beta4

From: <bthaler () webstream net>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:01:05 -0500

If, by "There are probably a few quirks but its the same format" you're referring to the incompatible database schemas
in use, then
yes, it's the same.

Demarc uses a different database structure than Acid.

The comments for the Acid output plugin in the barnyard.conf file state:
"Used to output data into the db schema used by ACID"

While I have not actually verified this, I assume it's referring to Acid's schema, and not some generic schema.
Because of this,
the writes would fail, looking for tables such as "acid_event", etc.  These don't exist in a Demarc schema'd database,
so, well you
get my point.

If, on the other hand, this output plugin writes to the generic snort tables present in both Acid and Demarc, then
that's a
different story.  Again, I'm going to assume that "Used to output data into the db schema used by ACID" means just
that.  If this is
not the case, then I suggest that someone either correct the comments in barnyard.conf, or rename the plugin.

Anyway, I'm just trying to verify where this plugin actually writes to (db tables) without having to install, configure
and run it
myself.

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,