Snort mailing list archives

Re: Help needed: Performance Check & Traffic Capture

From: David Lambert <dlambert () demo legallock com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 10:11:17 -0600

Thanks, that works fine. Does anyone know if this fix is why nessus supplies
its own version of the libpcap libraries?

Dave.

On Tuesday 01 January 2002 09:50 pm, Phil Wood wrote:
On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 04:55:06PM -0800, Erek Adams wrote:
On Tue, 1 Jan 2002, David Lambert wrote:
Thanks for the pointer to this. Unfortunately when I tried this it gave
me the following results. Any idea why the crazy first line? Everything
else seems to work fine.

None.  That's an odd one.  What OS, Version/Build of Snort and hardware
are you running this on?   Linux based?

======== Snort analyzed -235601920 out of 16777216 packets, dropping
252379136(1504.297%) packets

[...snip...]

If it's Linux based, check the archives from the snort-dev list at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/ for some patches provided by Phil Wood
<cpw () lanl gov> to make libpcap + Linux 2.4(?) play nice.

Hi, the pcap library is fixed at tcpdump.org.  Pull down the current
library:

  http://www.tcpdump.org:80/daily/libpcap-current.tar.gz

It has the fix to pcap_stats.  It does not have the "turbo" patches
which use a ring buffer.  I have that in a different tarball which
I'm still not 100% sure about.  If you get the above working and
would like to try something even more bizarre, drop me an email.

Phil (cpw () lanl gov)

Anyone else?

-----
Erek Adams